Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tripped-Up Tuesday: How not to stage a necklace


Everyone knows that colors side by side on the colorwheel look less intense than when you pair the same color to its opposite or against white. However, I once saw an amethyst pendant photographed against an intense, luminous pinky-purple background, and it looked amazing. I wanted to replicate that look using a tomato-red coral necklace and reflective acrylic (one red, one fluorescent pink). Here are the results:


I think we can all agree this is not the best way to stage a necklace!

Resources:

There are many great resources for learning how to photograph jewelry. My personal favorites are:
  •  Derrick Sutton's "How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond;"
  • Marsha Collier's "E-bay Business All-in-One for Dummies;"
  • and this You-tube link: How to Photograph Jewelry by the Jewelry Making Professor


For the record, none of them suggested using tomato red backgrounds for tomato red necklaces. I especially love the low cost light box suggested by the Professor!

 
 
Disclaimer:  I haven't turned on Google AdsSense.  If I recommend it, it's because I *like* it!

No comments:

Post a Comment